Bury St Edmunds
15000 - 20000 At least £10.00
Closing - 31 Aug 2020
At Mencap we work in partnership with people with a learning disability. We do this by providing high quality, flexible services that support people, including young adults, to live as independently as possible in their own homes and in the community.
Everyone wants a purposeful job – to do something meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You will have opportunities to develop as a person, colleague, leader and activist.
You’ll make new friends and feel inspired to reach your potential. We will ask a lot of you – but you’ll get back so much more. With us, it is never ‘just a job’.
In return for your hard work and passion, we can give you real meaning and purpose in your work.
So, what will I actually be doing?
As a Support Worker you will be expected to provide an outstanding level of care that will enormously contribute to the people we support, living a more comfortable, dignified, independent and happy life.
This will include:
· Personal care – helping people to get ready for the day and assisting with bathing, showering and using the bathroom.
· Supporting with finances, helping out with house work, organising appointments and cooking delicious healthy meals.
· Excellent communication skills – an ability to be able to adapt your manner in how you speak to make the information understood by all of the people that you will be supporting.
The finer details…
You will be supporting 7 individuals, males, in 2 of our supported living services. There are 4 in one house and 3 in another.
No two days will be the same and having a passion for communication would be a huge advantage. It is important that you are able to find creative ways to engage with the people you will be supporting to help remove barriers and empower the individual’s to learn new skills.
Each individual has their own personality, hobbies and interests that they enjoy.
It is essential that you are calm and approachable, but possess the ability to be assertive when the situation requires. It is imperative to the individuals you will be supporting that you enable them to challenge themselves to progress and achieve their own personal goals.
An enhanced DBS will be required for each successful candidate, paid for by Mencap.(T&C’s apply)
Flexibility is a must for this role as you will need to be available to work across various shifts including: days, evenings and weekends.
Shift times can vary from a 7am start through to a 10pm finish – you must be able to get to the service for your allocated start time. There will also be a requirement for you to do sleep-ins which run from 10pm-7am and this will be shared equally with the team.
Please note: these shift patterns may differ slightly throughout Mencap services, nevertheless this would always be communicated in a timely manner.
As well as knowing that what we do is making a positive difference to people’s lives, you will receive fair pay and have access to a wide range of rewards and benefits as one of our employees.
• 28 days holiday (including bank holidays) increasing to 35 days with long service plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme
• Service related sick pay when 6 month probation is completed
• Pension contributions into NEST Scheme on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings
• Death in service life cover for a nominated beneficiary under our life assurance scheme
• Loans for debt consolidation, bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
• Interest free season ticket loans
• Discounts and cashback from 3% to 30% at high street shops including major super markets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencap Extras
• Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
• Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
• Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
• Access to award winning training and development
*T&C's apply based on contract
Is Your CV up to Date?
There is plenty of CV advice available, but you can follow these key tips to help you brush up on your skills right now:
- Stand out. Your CV should demonstrate your unique blend of skills and experience
- Keep it simple
- Don’t be generic
- Check and check again
- Use a template