15000 - 20000 At least £10.00
Closing - 31 Aug 2020
At Mencap we work in partnership with people with a learning disability. We do this by providing high quality, flexible services that support people, including young adults, to live as independently as possible in their own homes and in the community.
Everyone wants a purposeful job – to do something meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You will have opportunities to develop as a person, colleague, leader and activist.
You’ll make new friends and feel inspired to reach your potential. We will ask a lot of you – but you’ll get back so much more. With us, it is never ‘just a job’.
In return for your hard work and passion, we can give you real meaning and purpose in your work.
So, what will I actually be doing?
As a Support Worker you will be expected to provide an outstanding level of care that will enormously contribute to the people we support, living a more comfortable, dignified, independent and happy life.
This will include:
· Personal care and manual handling – helping people to get ready for the day and assisting with bathing, showering and using the bathroom.
· Supporting with finances, helping out with house work, organising appointments and cooking delicious healthy meals.
Excellent organisation skills – you will be required to keep all Support Plans and Risk Assessments up to date.
· Excellent communication skills – an ability to be able to adapt your manner in how you speak to make the information understood by all of the people that you will be supporting and their families.
The finer details…
We are currently recruiting for Female Only Support Workers* at our well established Haverhill service.
No two days will be the same and having a passion for communication would be a huge advantage. It is important that you are able to find creative ways to engage with the people you will be supporting to help remove barriers and empower the individual’s to learn new skills.
Each individual has their own personality, hobbies and interests that they enjoy. It is key for this role that you are positive, and enjoy having a laugh. The individuals you will be supporting are an active bunch and enjoy various leisure and outdoor activities. They also like nights out and regularly go to see live entertainment.
Please ensure you are able to commit to this role, as reliability for the individuals you will be supporting is a key factor. They require stability and need support in accessing activities in order to allow them to achieve their full potential.
We put the people we support at the heart of Mencap and we make sure that they are as equally involved with the recruitment process as our recruitment team. We feel this is imperative in ensuring they receive a tailored and relevant service. We are only looking for committed people, as continuity and routine is essential for the people we support.
It is essential that you are calm and approachable, but possess the ability to be assertive when the situation requires.It is imperative to the individuals you will be supporting that you enable them to challenge themselves to progress and achieve their own personal goals.
Drivers are ESSENTIAL for this role.
An enhanced DBS will be required for each successful candidate, paid for by Mencap.(T&C’s apply)
Flexibility is a must for this role as you will need to be available to work across various shifts including: days, evenings and weekends.
There is also a sleep-in shift which runs from 22:00-07:00.
Please note: rotas will always be communicated in a timely manner.
As well as knowing that what we do is making a positive difference to people’s lives, you will receive fair pay and have access to a wide range of rewards and benefits as one of our employees.
• 28 days holiday (including bank holidays) increasing to 35 days with long service plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme
• Service related sick pay when 6 month probation is completed
• Pension contributions into NEST Scheme on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings
• Death in service life cover for a nominated beneficiary under our life assurance scheme
• Loans for debt consolidation, bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
• Interest free season ticket loans
• Discounts and cashback from 3% to 30% at high street shops including major super markets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencap Extras
• Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
• Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
• Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
• Access to award winning training and development
*T&C's apply based on contract
Is Your CV up to Date?
There is plenty of CV advice available, but you can follow these key tips to help you brush up on your skills right now:
- Stand out. Your CV should demonstrate your unique blend of skills and experience
- Keep it simple
- Don’t be generic
- Check and check again
- Use a template